New Zealand Sports Academy Guest Coaches and Mentors
As one of the foremost rugby schools in the world, we enjoy an established relationship with experienced and esteemed professional rugby coaches. Our extensive networks have enabled us to gain the support of high profile sports people.
Through our trust; Te Kaihanga Sports Trust, we offer a mentoring programme through our “Rangatahi Development Programme”.
Our participants enjoy communicating and learning from successful role models.
Wayne ‘Buck’ Shelford
- Ex All Black Captain
- Māori All Black
- Auckland and North Harbour Representative
- Buck is the only undefeated All Black Captain who brings specialist knowledge in forward play and great mentoring skills.
- Ex All Black, Māori All Black and North Harbour Representative
- Kiwi League
- NZ Warriors & Wigan Representative
- Frano provides specialist kicking & goal kicking expertise including techniques, methods & training systems to improve accuracy & success
Dr Farah Palmer
- Ex Black Fern
- Captained the Black Ferns to successfully win three consecutive World Championships (1998, 2002 and 2006)
- Completed her Bachelor of Physical Education (with Honours) Farah commenced working towards a PhD in sports sociology which she completed at Otago University in 2000
- Senior Lecturer in Sports management at Massey University
- Director of the Maori Business Research Centre at Massey University from 2003 to 2006
Matt Te Pou
- Former coach of the NZ Māori Team
- Former Super 12 Assistant coach to Chiefs
- Since coaching the NZ Māori team Matt & Jim have achieved a World record with 26 wins in a row
- Former Waikato NPC player
- Coach/Assistant Coach for Waikato
- Coach Glasgow Warriors, Poverty Bay
- Assistant coach NZ Woman’s Black Ferns
- National Academy coach Irish Rugby Football Uni
- Waikato and Auckland representative
- Former player for York Wasps, Sheffield Eagles, Castleford Tigers, Cronulla Sharks, Melbourne Storm & Warrington Wolves
- Former player for the New Zealand Kiwis and New Zealand Maori representative teams
- Current New Zealand Kiwis selector
- In 2008 Nikau was inducted as one of the NZRL Legends of League and Carrington Tigers Hall of Fame
- All Black from 1980-86 playing 40 games with 9 test matches.
- Played for NZ Maori, the Bay of Plenty and Wellington provinces.
- Coached professionally in NZ, England and Ireland and has returned to NZ to continue his contribution to Maori rugby.